Adana Kuslari Guvercin

Extremely rare but exist in USA

Re: Adana Kuslari Guvercin

Postby rollerdoneks » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:10 am

I looked at many sites and pictures to get the above list. A lot of the names are from the articles that you wrote in the past. Thanks goes to you Terry for keeping my interest going with the Adana Dewlaps. Okay its agreed that Safi is the faded gene!
I will be breeding out of six pairs this Spring. Last year I raises 23 babies out of four pair. Lets hope I do as well this year.
FYI
Last week I got on face book and I joined "Adana Dewlap Breeders" group. There are other Adana Güvercin groups as well.
Dennis L. Radi
rollerdoneks

Breeds: Adana, Ottati Gohzar (Egyptian Swifts), Donek.

Postby Duane Terry » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:38 pm

It would be nice if many others here became interested in the adanas. I see that they are starting to raise the babies well for you. Anyway here is how I trained those birds for the diving from the cupboard. This method may not be suitable because of weather conditions or predators_varmits in some areas. In the late 90's I built one of those boxes with wire flooring. Starting with squeakers that could not fly much at all is the best. Then only 5 or 6 of them is enough, because too many birds are hard to control getting them use to the box. The birds are placed in the box and let out daily to eat for 2 weeks. The first few days is tough getting them back inside the box_but they learn quickly. After the two weeks let the birds out and take one at a time and hand toss it from a short distance_the bird must be able to see the others when hand tossed from a distance. It will instantly fly back to the others. You can hand toss each bird daily or every other day in the same manner. Do this for a couple more weeks just getting them use to responding to the cupboard. Then it is time to fly them. Make a flag out of a broom stick with a rag nailed to one end_any type of flag will do. Take two or three birds from the box and toss them on the ground. It is important that all other birds be out of their sight_anywhere around them. Gently wave the flag over them or at them enough to spook them off the ground. If this doesn't work toss the birds in the air and wave the flag at them. Here is where many give up as the birds refuse to fly no matter what. But sooner or later you will have one or two that will take to the skies and the others will follow. If they take to the sky on the first try have a dropper at hand or be ready to pull one from the box_else let all birds outside. Some the youngsters when they go airborne don't seem to know when to stop climbing upwards and upwards. So have a dropper ready if this happens_else let all the others outside. The bird or birds will respond instantly to this. You will get very fast diving from them using the cupboards but plan on loosing some birds no matter what. I lost a whole kit of youngsters once_probably because I was flying far too many birds at a time. I sent them up with a flag_all had been trained to the cupboard as written above. They went up and up and they were gone. I used a dropper and what was left in the box to pull them down_but this did not work. Several minutes later one of the kit came screaming down from the sky, but the others I never saw them again. I think a hawk may of spooked them or something_but a big loss here. It is really best to just fly only two or three birds and not let them get out of sight before dropping them. I noted some the men in adana keeping a constant watch on the fliers and when they got to a certain height they made a dash for the cupboard to pull the dropper. Others kept a dropper under their coat or at hand and they knew when to pull the birds down. The cupboards probably will not work for many in the USA because of our climate and predators_varmits like around here. But the birds dive very fast flying them this way and it keeps the male adanas from fighting. They are very protective over their nesting area and oft will drive the hen very hard to the nest with heavy pecking. Also the birds become pure pets and I am sure you see the young boys teasing them in those boxes over there_youtube videos.
Duane Terry

Breeds: Takla
Adana
Rollers
Parlors
Doves

Postby rollerdoneks » Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Thanks for the training instructions. I will follow the training method that you suggest.
Dennis L. Radi
rollerdoneks

Postby Duane Terry » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:16 am

Dennis_back in the other article I was telling you Gaziantep is to the West of adana_actually it is to the East of adana_correction. Your area is probably suitable for using those boxes The main thing is to have complete control over the birds when flying them. You should see the men and young boys with these birds over there. When they open those cupboards here comes birds from every corner and they are looking for food. After I sat and drank tea with them watching the birds strut on the rooftops for a good while and got ready to depart. You should see the control they have over these birds then. Some the men would start driving the birds back into the boxes with their hands. Others made whistling noise_some use a stick to drive them back into the boxes. All birds return to their private section in the cupboards. Complete control over the birds. For the flying_they would take two or three birds from the box and toss them on the rooftop. All other birds locked up and out of sight. Then wave the flag over them or at them_and off they went climbing upwards in tight circles. After the fliers were just a speck in the sky_they pulled the dropper "usually a white one" and swung it in the hand. The fliers spot this instantly and here they come down like a bomb at great speed. Their fliers are mostly cock birds and they will flat out "tear up jack" getting back to the cupboard. Only four years before this time Dr. WF Hollander and Bob Pettit was over there and saw this same performance from the adanas. And by looking at all the adana videos on youtube that sport still continues even to this day.
Duane Terry

Adana
Rollers
Parlors
Doves

Adana Dewlaps USA

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Photos taken by Duane Terry.
Some of the current adana dewlap stock in the USA.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Breeds: Takla, Kelebek

Postby Duane Terry » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:09 am

Here are some comments about the photo: I did not raise any these birds but photographed them. I had heard a couple years ago that the adanas were
in the USA but never saw any photos of them. In October 2013 I got my first look at these birds and what a surprise. Before hand there has been other
imports of dewlaps in the USA and some were called adana. Then also birds from Libanon and Syria have been imported here. Each region develops this breed
to their own standard. So there is a wide variation of the dewlap breed from one region to the other over there it seems. This latest import is no doubt
the adana kind with the hazel green eyes. Most are the Sakar Adana_blacks with various white markings in the plumage. These produce other colors especially
blue and pieds (both in black and blue). Upper left photo: A beautiful Akrep hen_note the straight line down the gullet and how the knife blade flights
rest neatly beside the tail. Upper center photo: A beautiful Kupeli or Gerdanli Sakar hen. Upper right photo: A young Arap (means black) male_alert and
just a fantastic looking bird. It can take up to three years for these birds to develop fully in the head and gullet. Bottom left photo: A young male adana with
an interesting head shape. There is a wide variation of head shapes in the adana ones and often as the gullet (dewlap) develops the bird will appear to be shorter
beaked. Bottom center photo: An Abraq or Abras male_this color pattern is produced by the Sakar ones. The full necklace is seen on this bird (white ring around
the neck). Also feathering on the legs_common in the adanas. This bird has an awesome wing span_long, broad, and flat that aids in the diving. Bottom right
photo: A beautiful Akrep male_with what we call the "turtle syndrone". Some the adana have problems in the legs and this is no disease but a genetic fault. Only
one leg is usually affected_being cocked outwards. This causes the bird to walk funny. Poor incubation of the egg can cause this (spraddled legs). This fault
shows up in a low percentage of the birds. I am so glad to see these birds in the USA and hopefully several people here will take interest in them. Signed_Duane.
Duane Terry

Adana
Rollers
Parlors
Doves

Postby rollerdoneks » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:41 am

Hey Kurt, no photos showed up . Could you please try again.
Dennis
Dennis L. Radi
rollerdoneks

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:46 pm

It's showing Dennis.
Try refreshing your browser.
Let me know if the issue continues.
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Postby rollerdoneks » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:16 pm

Kurt, All is well with the picture now. Thanks!
Dennis L. Radi
rollerdoneks

Postby Kurt Gürsu » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Roger that :)
Kurt Gürsu
Site Admin

Previous

Return to ADANA